Sunday, October 21, 2007
Fridge Review Recipe 2
Given that it is starting to snow outside - my favorite "clean out the fridge" minestrone recipe is needed. This soup can be doctored for any veggies you may have sitting around the house. Corn, peas, broccoli or zucchini. The bread is also good for mixing in any type of flour or nuts you have ready to be used.
1 lb. turkey kilbasa (diced)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 yellow onion (diced)
1 green pepper (diced)
4 garlic cloves (diced)
1 can petite diced tomatoes (16 oz) [including juices]
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1.5 teaspoons fennel seed
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt & pepper to taste
1 can kidney beans (16 oz) [drained and rinsed]
28 oz container of chicken broth
1 cup of penne noodles
1. Heat oil in a dutch oven. Add meat, onions, pepper and garlic. Brown up ingredients.
2. Add in rest of ingredients (omitting the noodles).
3. Simmer the soup for 30-40 minutes.
4. Add the noodles and cook until soft.
5. Serve with asiago cheese on top.
This bread is designed for a 2 pound bread machine.
Becca's Whole Wheat Wonder Bread
1 2/3 cup water
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons oil
2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cup white flour
2/3 cup rolled oats
1 tablespoon yeast
1. Add ingredients into your bread machine in the order given above. Select the Whole Wheat bread. This will take ~ 3.5 hours.