Monday, December 21, 2009

Better -vs- Well.

While driving home the other day I was listening to the radio and they were talking about the difference from living better and living well. It was an interesting concept that I really hadn't given much thought. In the conversation they were saying living well is improving the wealth of your life (friends, family ... things that are not purchasable that make your life wonderful) - where as living better was buying a bigger house, getting more stuff. I'm probably not doing the concept justice - but the story hit a nerve. I decided to see in my own way what better -vs- well would mean. My first step in this process is to see if it is possible for me to spend a month not buying anything that isn't needed to live. I'm not talking about being harsh on my store shopping list and only buying 1 bag of potatoes to live on. But, not buying things I don't really need. Of course January is a tough month to choose (with all the after holiday sales) - but this seems like an even better time for me to try this out.

I guess I should finish up my thought. The plan is not to spend a dime on anything I don't need. The question of what is needed is a good one. Do I need to download that song? Do I need a latte with my friends at hot rocks? I'm going to try and come up with some rules for what is needed -vs- not. But, in the end ... I'm just going to try and live well .... not better!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very interesting post - i always tell the boys were are so lucky because of all the close friends and family we have. recently a friend bought a much bigger house and the kids were talking about it. hunter asked if their house was bigger than ours and when i said yes he said he didn't care because he liked our house the way it was :) good luck on the endeavor...let me know how it goes. by the way - latte with friends counts as improving your life in the right way not the material way :) bean

onthemove - klh said...

my girlfriend Joanna Gardner who lives near Ed S. did this recently. I think she missed going out for coffee...

Jim Hill said...

One can always live without things ones wants versus needs. However, if you have the resources to fulfill some of your wants after fulfilling all your needs, why not do so? Asceticism doesn't get you anything. (heh)