Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Pearly Whites

I went to the dentist yesterday. Yes ... I do love getting my teeth cleaned. Hmmmm ... clean teeth. Anyway ... I had both the cleaning lady and the dentist tell me I have beautiful perfect teeth. I've never really thought of my teeth as "perfect or beautiful". Do people get them saying this as well? I just want to know if they are blowing smoke up my behind.

So tarter builds up on my teeth very quickly (which is why I go in all the time to get them cleaned). The new cleaning lady told me something very interesting. One of the main ingredients in toothpaste is a type of wax. The wax is great for taste (which is why they add it - and took out soap). Historical Note: [Until after 1945, toothpastes contained soap. After that time, soap was replaced by other ingredients to make the paste into a smooth paste or emulsion - such as sodium lauryl sulphate, a common ingredient in present-day toothpaste.]But, after about a week of wax building up on your teeth ... they become a bit sticky and stuff sticks to them, such as tarter. She recommended going to just regular soap. "Try brushing with mint soap for a couple of weeks and see the amount of tarter build up you have." So ... I'm trying it. The first brushing was terrible. I thought I was going to toss my cookies. But, it has been better since. I'm interested to see if it works. I'll keep all those interested people posted.

UPDATE: I am using Dr. Bronner's Mint Soap . Which is actually what she recommended. She is said the bar soap with just a couple of rubs of your toothbrush ... or a TINY bit of the liquid. Last night I put TOO much liquid on and I thought that my inners were going to come up. This morning ... a tiny bit and I was much better!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've also had a few dentists ask me how I got perfect teeth and who did my braces. I didn't have any braces, and they are always startled to hear that.

Can you just get toothpaste without the wax?

onthemove - klh said...

I am surprised that they didn't recommed pure baking soda.