Wednesday, February 04, 2015

The English Language Part 1

There are a lot of things about the English language that drive me nuts.  There are also a lot of things I just don't understand the where, why and how it came to be.

Lately there is a sign when I walk into my building that says "Ensure the door closes behind you."

Ensure: to make sure, certain, or safe :  guarantee (Webster's)

But what about assure?

Assure:  to make (something) certain

Left with more questions than answers I use the all powerful Google to find this cool site and reference:
Insure: protect with an insurance policy, as in Insure the car before your trip. To “assure” a person of something is to make him or her confident of it. According to Associated Press style, to “ensure” that something happens is to make certain that it does, and to “insure” is to issue an insurance policy.

When I see it put like that I know I have it.  And then I can ensure that the next time this comes up I'll use the wrong word.

Have a question about the English language you want to investigate with me?  Drop a comment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

narthex. it's a vestibule, traditionally the western entrance of a church. but it would make more sense if it was the northern exit.

Anonymous said...

poptart is a good word.