Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Baby Birds

Saturday afternoon I noticed that Moab was looking at the ground outside the enclosed
porch. She was licking her lips and looking ... very interested in
something. I went outside to find a very small bird sitting on the
ground screaming. He had those soft little down feathers on his head.
Just a few of them. And not many other feathers on his body. There is a
House Finch nest right above where I found him.

So, I put on some rubber gloves, had Mike get the ladder, and put the little
dude back up in his nest. Note that this nest just had 5 birds hatch
and there were now NONE in it. I could see two male birds fighting over
head and no one was going into the nest to feed the little guy.

About an hour later I noticed that Moab
was looking at the ground again. I went back out and the poor little
guy was on the ground again. I got the gloves and ladder to put him
back - but once back in the nest he launched himself right back out and
onto my shirt.

I was at a total loss for what to do with the
little guy. We have a total of probably 8 House Finch nests around the
house, so I had Mike go check the nearest one for babies. He found that
there was one bird that looked to be around the same age (same number
of funky feathers on his head).

With a held breath I put the
loan baby bird up into this strangers nest and then waited inside to
see what happened. Momma bird came back and started feeding both of
them.Ignoring the fact that one of them wasn't hers. As of today, the
baby is growing and the mom is totally caring for it! Who says you
can't mess with Mother Nature?

1 comment:

onthemove - klh said...

I'm now sure that I cannot turn my back on Eileen for a second (especially out)...who knows, maybe I will end up with twins :-)